Dana M. Reed
Dana Reed is an Impact Investor & Advisor in Africa. She recently served as the Interim CEO of The Africa Center; a business, policy and cultural center for contemporary Africa where she previously served as a Trustee of the Board. Her responsibilities of the organization included managing the staff, leading the $30mm capital campaign, developing and managing relationships with Heads of State/dignitaries/business and cultural representatives in Africa and the U.S. Dana was the CEO of PanAfrican Investment Co., a $30 million impact investment company for SMEs in sub-Saharan Africa. Prior to joining PIC, Dana was a Managing Director at Semper Capital, a structured credit asset management company with $2.0 billion AUM. Her responsibilities included marketing, product development, and strategic growth of the firm. Before Semper, she was an investment banker at Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Dana began her career as a Fellow at the Export-Import Bank of the United States. She received a BBA in International Business from Howard University and a MBA from Howard University. She is a Trustee of The Africa Center, Harlem Tech Fund, BrightPoint Health and Randall’s Island Park Alliance. Dana was appointed by New York Governor Paterson to serve as a Director of the Harlem Community Development Corp. and continues to serve in that capacity today. Dana is the Financial Advisor to Uncharted Power, a renewable energy company that provides energy solutions in Africa. She is also the Financial Advisor to the AME Zion Church – East African District. Dana is an active member of the African Leadership Network, International Women’s Forum, Counsel of Urban Professionals and is the Vice President of the Metropolitan Chapter of Jack & Jill. She is a frequent panelist both in the U.S. and in Africa. Dana is active in her home community where she is a member of Abyssinian Baptist Church; she lives in Harlem with her 11 year old twin boys who enjoy traveling to the continent with her.
Dana M. Reed 646-539-8703 email@example.com
THE AFRICA CENTER 2016-2018 Interim CEO
- Managed staff and oversaw operations of African business, policy and culture center.
- Lead $30mm capital campaign.
- Developed and managed relationships with Heads of State/dignitaries, business & cultural representatives in Africa and the U.S. PAN-AFRICAN INVESTMENT CO. 2011-2016 CEO
- Impact investment firm focused on building sustainable SMEs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Incorporated and grew the $20mm firm to ten team members and a portfolio of seven investments.
- Responsible for sourcing, diligence, structuring and negotiating investments. SEMPER CAPITAL 2007-2012 Managing Director
- Responsible for overall strategic growth and product development of $1.5bn fixed income asset management firm.
- Sold long-only and hedge fund products to pension funds, endowments, foundations, family offices & high net worth.
- Work closely with MBS investment team to increase distribution of current product offering and to launch
new products. FRIEDMAN, BILLINGS, RAMSEY 2002 – 2006 Vice President, Institutional Equity Sales
- Sell-side institutional broker covering mid-cap hedge funds.
- Built book of business through cold-calling and resurrecting dormant institutional accounts. Investment Banking, Specialty Finance Group
- Executed private placements and public equity transactions in the specialty finance industry.
- Day-to-day contact between client, attorneys, sales force and internal investment committee. JP MORGAN 2000-2002 Senior Associate – Investment Banking, Communications, Systems & Semiconductor Group
- Executed a broad range of transactions and strategic advisory services within the communications equipment sector with a focus on fiber optic networking, broadband wireless, switching and network software.
- Responsible for valuation analyses and due diligence for tech companies. GOLDMAN, SACHS & CO. 1996-2000 Senior Analyst – Investment Banking Division, Corporate Finance Generalist
- Executed a variety of transactions including equity, debt, convertible and hybrid offerings, as well as acquisitions, raid defenses, share repurchases, and block trades.
- Conducted in-depth company valuations using discounted cash flow, leveraged buy-out, public market, and comparable transaction analyses.
- Prepared internal and external documents for various offerings including road show presentations, sales memoranda, screening memoranda and prospectuses.
- Created detailed Excel models to evaluate valuation, financing alternatives and acquisition targets. EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF THE U.S. 1994-1996 Fellow- Latin American Underwriting
- Analyzed Latin American SMEs in order to recommend trade insurance for U.S. Exporters.
- One of 8 graduate students selected for fellowship to work 30 hours/week while in business school. CONGRESSMAN WILLIAM L. CLAY (D-MO) 1990-1993 Legislative Assistant
- Performed a wide range of communication and public relations duties with constituents.
- Conducted extensive research for the congressman on what would become the 1993 Family and Medical Leave Act that he sponsored. EDUCATION
HOWARD UNIVERSITY GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS 1996 MBA – Class President. Most Outstanding Graduate Student Award. MBA of the Year Award. Reginald Lewis Foundation Scholarship. National Black MBA Association Case Competition – 2nd Place.
HOWARD UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF BUSINESS 1994 BBA – International Business. Dean’s List. Nissan Scholarship. Studied abroad in Japan. PERSONAL
Serve on the Board of Directors of The Africa Center, BrightPoint Health, Randall’s Island Park Alliance, and Harlem Tech Fund. Appointed by Governor David A. Paterson to serve as a Director of the Harlem Community Development Corporation. 2017 Three and a Half Acres “Be the Change” Award. 2013 CUP “Catalyst for Change: Finance” Award. Member of the African Leadership Network. Judge for 2014 (Rwanda), 2015 (Morocco), 2016 (Mauritius) and 2017 (Mauritius) Africa Awards for Entrepreneurship.
Dana M. Reed – Transaction History
Private Equity & Advisory Uncharted Power (pan-Africa) advisory U.S. African Development Foundation (pan-Africa) advisory AME Zion East African District (Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania) advisory Bridge International Academies (Kenya) equity investment Mobius Motors (Kenya) equity investment Shea Yeleen (Ghana) equity investment biNu (pan-Africa) equity investment Daily Secret (pan-Africa) equity investment Prepex (pan-Africa) equity investment Trunity (pan-Africa) equity investment Alcatel /convertible preferred strategic investment in 360networks New Media Technology private placement/convertible preferred offering Starter Corporation fund raising effort for buy-out UrbanAmerica, L.P. private equity fund (fund raise) United Enterprise Fund, L.P. private equity fund (fund raise)
- Equity American Financial Realty Trust $800 million IPO American Standard $560 million equity offering American Standard $210 million share repurchase AT&T Wireless Group $10 billion IPO barnesandnoble.com $465million IPO Corning $225 million block trade Estee Lauder $285 million equity offering Fieldstone Investment Corp. $700mm private placement Metlife $3 billion IPO Newell $378 million block trade Safeway $1.7 billion equity offering Safeway $1.1 billion equity offering Saxon Realty Trust $500 million equity offering
- Fixed Income American Standard $350 million high-yield offering American Standard $400 million high-yield offering American Standard $250 million high-yield offering AT&T $450 million debt offering Coca-Cola Enterprises $300 million debt offering Federated Department Stores $550 million debt offering Federated Department Stores $450 million tender offer Mead Corp. $550 million debt offering Safeway $600 million debt offering Safeway $870 million tender offer
- Convertible/Hybrid Danskin $20 million private placement/convertible preferred offering CVS Corp. $220 million TRACES® offering Estee Lauder $285 million TRACES® offering Estee Lauder $200 million TRACES® offering Lucent Technologies $1,750 million redeemable convertible preferred stock offering Newell $500 million convertible QUIPS® offering
Mergers & Acquisitions
Anheuser Busch American Standard acquisition of Incstar American Standard acquisition of Sorin Biomedica American Standard raid defense from Tyco International Donna Karan Federated Department Stores Ford Modeling Puig TLC Beatrice divestiture Toys “R” Us Virtual Press Office